Taxila, a Well Renowned School Flourished Very Well In the First Half of the Nineteenth Century. The History Goes Back To the Period of the Buddhist School in Horana Was Established As Taxila College.
We Remember The Name Of Arthur V Dies Who Presented Us A Plot Of Land In The Graceland Estate To Shift Our School To Temporary Built Premises In 1940. The Late Principal Mr. H. Sirisena Endeavour To Established Taxila College, In The Place Where The Taxila Junior College Is Been Established Now. As The Name Of "Taxila" Was Introduced By One Of The
Former Teacher W.A. Fonseka, Later It Became A New Institution As Taxila English College - Horana. The Farther Of Free Education Dr. C.W.W. Kannangara Initiated This Institution According To His Concept Of Central Colleges As One Of The Pioneer Central Colleges In Sri Lanka.
The Environment Which Is Appreciated At Present Is The Place Where The Present Taxila Junior College Is Situated Just Adjacent To Horana Rest House Was Populated With Two Hundred Students' Strength Including Nine Teachers. So The Present Taxila College Was Established As A New College By The Honorable Patronage Of Former Prime Minister Sir John Kothalawala.
Along The History Of Taxila Central College The Founder Principal Was Mr. N. T. De Silva. In Consequently Mr. H. Y. De Silva, Mr. Edmond Dias, Mr. A. R. Erathne And Mr. Jayaweera Bandara Served As Principals Giving Necessary Leadership. During This Era The Name Of Taxila Was In A Brilliant Place With The Entrance Of A Student To The Art Section In 1951.
The Principal Mr. E. D. K. Abeysekara Who Was Appointed In 1958 Had Recorded The Longest Period Of Being A Principal, In This College. He Did A Yeoman Service To Develop The School. A Hostel Was Established Gathering 200 Students, And Physical Resources Were Developed During This Period. Electricity And Water Facilities Were Included Among The Major Facilities.
Science Scholars Were Admitted During This Era. In 1958 The School Got Laboratory Facilities And The Science Classes For Ordinary Level Examination Have Been Initiated In 1960. In 1961 Mother Taxila Turned A New Page Of Her History Book By Initiating The Advanced Level Science Section. Bringing Success To That Idea, A Student Of Taxila Could Attend To Engineering Faculty In 1963.
There Was Not A Playground For Our School Until 1962 And The Students Had To Use Horana Municipal Ground For Their Practices. Luckily Our School Could Get A Playground In 1962 For Our School. The Students Of Taxila Tried Their Best To Write The Name Of Taxila In Gold Letters In Athletic Field After This. As A Result Of This Upali Perera Could Keep The Golden Name Of Taxila In The History By Keeping All Island Record Of Running Race, Using Unfamiliar Running Shoes In That Period. From That First Page Of Grand History In Athletic Section, The Taxilians Could Write The Name Of Taxila In Golden Letters Achieving The Goals Not Only In Sri Lanka But All Over The World.
During This Period The Aesthetic Section Of The School Went Forward With A Great Enthusiasm And In 1968 The Students Of Taxila Could Get The All Island First Place Of The Folk Song "Onchili Waram" In 1968 And This The Aesthetic Section Of The Taxila Central College Turned To A New Way. During This Period The Great Service And The Dedication Done By Mrs. Soma Gunathilake To Achieve A Higher Place In The Aesthetic Section Is Highly Appreciated.She was the One and Only Aesthetic Teacher Who Worked in School During This Period. Taxila Cadet Platoon Was Initiated And The Eastern Music Band Was Initiated In This School.
Mr. Walter Silva Started His Work As The Principal Of Taxila Central College In 1975 And He Had Been Working In This School Until 1987. In 1976 The First Medical Student Of Taxila Entered To The Medical Faculty. During His Period Many Extra Societies Were Initiated In This School And The Scout Corps Was Initiated In 1976 As A Result Of His Effort. During This Period the Name of Taxila Spreaded All Over the Country Achieving Many Goals in Sports. Under The Patronage Of Mr. U.A. Randeni Soft Ball Cricket Was Initiated In 1980 And In A Short Time They Could Get The All Island 2nd Place In Cricket. In 1991, Under the Patronage of Mr. Janak Kumarasinghe Leather Cricket Was Initiated In This School. The Names Of Mr. M. Abeyratne, Mr. W. Wamadevan, Mr. Bertie Perera, Mr. Chandradasa Munagama Are Immortal In The Sports History Of Taxila, Because Of Their Dedication In This Field.
"The Route Of Taxila Goes Forward Proudly, Turning New Pages Of Its Proud History And Definitely It Will Go Ahead For Many Centuries Spreading Its Glory All Over The World."
Mr. H. K. A. Abhaypala, Who Came As The Principal Of Taxila In 1995 Has Done A Distinguished Service For The Improvement Of This School. Not Only Progress Of The Education Field But The Progress Of The Aesthetic Field And Other Co-Curricular Activities And Extra Curricular Activities Uplifted By Him Are Highly Appreciated. Under His Leadership The School Could Gain Various Achievements And Facilities. The Nearly Developed Playground And The Swimming Pool Are Best Examples For That.